Sunday, September 20, 2009

September 21, 2009

Chasing Peacocks

The other evening while watching the idiot box I was entranced by this ad for some joint medication – no not that kind of joint – medication for arthritic knees. A fictional couple had cast aside the corporate life to buy and operate a Bed and Breakfast. They said they wanted to exchange the rat race for the peacock race. One clip showed them running up the stairs for the umptillionth time that day to chase a peacock from one of the guest rooms. I never did see them succeed.
It took me three times to successfully shuck the corporate life. I now find myself with the time to chase peacocks. I have more time for my writing. (Check out my web-site at:http://www.bobwhite4stories.com/) There is now time to travel and indulge the parts of life that provide pleasure and satisfaction without straining to make some employer or client satisfied. I’ve discovered I can indulge myself with great gobs of time; taking two hours to do what I used to cram into thirty minutes. This might be a little of what heaven is like. Time to chase a peacock.
Then an odd thought struck me… isn’t this what the generation of the 60’s and 70’s tried to do. Ahhh…. Three days of nirvana and bedlam at Woodstock. Yeah, there was sex and drugs with the rock and roll, but there was also freedom. Freedom to chase peacocks.
Until next time, that’s it from the
Storyman….

1 comment:

  1. Hey Storyman. I too am shucking the corporate life. Scaling way back and living a life of simplicity and creativity. I have no one to please but myself. I am glad you are doing what you love!

    ReplyDelete