Monday, February 8, 2010

What Am I?

I meet a lot of interesting people in my rabbit hole. The other day I ran into the psychologist and philosopher Erich Fromm. He asked me, “If I am what I have and I lose what I have, what am I?” That’s a question plaguing a lot of people today. It’s plagued me from time to time. Of course, we almost never ask it out loud, but it niggles at the back of the mind.
It used to be that question raised its vicious head when people retired. I used to be an accountant, but now I’m in the way. Today it’s— I used to be a home builder, or a machinist, or a teacher. Today I’m just unemployed. The victims of Bernie Madoff used to say they were rich, now… Well, that story ended badly for a lot of people. Along with the recession and job loss also comes a fistful of broken marriages. So just like Jon and Kate or Tiger and Erin people have to ask what and who they are when they’re alone.
The answer is in the first word Doctor Fromm said. “IF”
Think about it. I don’t have to be what I have. I can be what’s inside me. I can be full of music, or happiness, or joy. Yes, I can even be full of love for other people. Thanks doc. You liberated me.
For more, here’s the link to my web page: http://www.bobwhite4stories.com . Until next time, that’s it from The Storyman ….

No comments:

Post a Comment