Wednesday, February 24, 2010

One Glorious Hour

Funny how these things happen down in the rabbit hole. I’d bid goodbye to Erich Fromm. Still lost in my thoughts of freedom I rounded the corner and literally bumped into Walter Scott. Yes, that Walter Scott, the Baronet.
“Look here,” he said to me. “You should watch where you’re going young man.”
I offered my apologies, still marveling that he thought me a young man.
Then, as characters are wont to do down in this dank hole in the ground, he told me something that started a new set of wheels going in my mind. He revived a memory from over forty years ago.
My cousin, recently married to a marvelous hunk of a guy who drove around in a silver-blue ’Vette, was diagnosed with cancer. It stunned the family. What did they do? It stunned me more than the diagnosis. They took off for a month, maybe longer, for Tahiti and Bora Bora. It was Elaine’s dream to soak up the beauty of clear waters, warm sand, and calming breezes. I wondered at the time, but it was the right thing to do.
What was it that Walter told me? Oh, yes. “One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.”
For more stuff, here’s the link to my web page: http://www.bobwhite4stories.com .
Until next time, that’s it from The Storyman ….

No comments:

Post a Comment